Trains, planes and missing the point

I missed my train. It wouldn't have been a big deal if I hadn't just hopped on the next one that came along. Apparently not all the RER C trains go ORLY airport. This one went to Dourdan la-Forêt, but I was only half way there before I realized I was on the wrong train. Now I am sitting on the correct train but my flight leaves in 15 minutes and I won't be to the station where I can catch the airport shuttle for another 20 minutes. I have missed my flight but I am too tired to care. I got up at four in the morning to pack the last of my crap and get to the airport on time. I woke my roommate up and we had this unpleasent little conversation:

Martin: Qu'est-ce que tu fait?

Me: Je pars maintenant.

Martin: Ou? En fait, Je ne me fous. Un peut plus doucement si te plait.

Me: Je ne comprend pas.

Martin: Faire silencieux!

Me: (blank stare)

Martin: Be quiet! Tu comprends ça?

Me: Oui. Mais...

He stared at me angrily for a moment and then went back to bed. I don't think he realizes that I'm not coming back. He'll figure it out eventually, right now all I want is to stay awake long enough to get out of this country. I wish this train were faster. I hope my plane is delayed. I'm leaving this country just like I came into it...

I fell asleep on the train.

Bet you didn't see that one coming. Luckily someone who saw I had suitcases nudged me and I was able to make it off the train in time. And that is the end of the good news. I missed my flight, as expected but unfortunately since Saint Valentines day is Sunday all the flights in and out of Paris are booked until next Wednesday. Originally I had planned to spend the holiday on a layover in Chicago. Where I don't know anyone and far away from you and from the city where all of western civilization comes to celebrate romance. Instead I'll probably be hiding indoors listening to Martin fight with/make love to his girlfriend. Won't he be happy to see me. I'm taking the train back into Paris and I guess that now it doesn't really matter if I fall asleep. The thing about a plane ticket is it makes you feel like you have somewhere to go. Like you have some place to be. It was nice while it lasted. Maybe I'll get a train ticket. I could go see the south of France. Anywhere but here really.

Goodnight,

Willim

p.s. I woke up an hour later to a great view of the Eiffel Tower from the RER C. I guess this isn't the worst place to be stuck in.

curently reading:
Gulliver's Travels (Penguin Classics)

No comments:

Post a Comment