Evolution

It's been a week since I wrote last. A very eventful week. I got an apartment. It's small, but not as small as I thought it would be. I have my own room but I share the place with a man named Martin. We don't talk much, as he speaks even less English than I do French, and apparently he doesn't think it's worth the effort to try to communicate. You'd think he would be glad to have someone to share the rent with (it's... expensive) but Martin treats me more like an inconvenience. Sometimes he yells in French and I really have no idea what he is saying or why he is angry but I just get the feeling that he doesn't like me very much. Martin has a girlfriend and they fight often. He has never bothered to introduce me, but I call her Martine... I mean not to her face of course, I guess I really just call her that to myself... and now to you. You and I are the only two people I talk to.

...I guess we're not really talking... but I'm assuming that one day you'll actually be reading this. Well... I keep changing my mind about that.

Anyway, this past week has also been filled with French food, beautiful women, and hours of walking. First the food. I think you would love it. They have plenty of options for a semi-vegetarian or whatever it is you're calling yourself these days. I'm sure you have heard of a Croque Monsieur, well that has ham on it, but a Croque Chevre has goat cheese instead. Trust me, it was amazing. I got one at this place called La Rotonde on rue St. Lazare, not far from the gare (which is what they call their train stations).  I even took a picture of the place because I liked it so much I wanted to remember it.

I haven't quite made it to the point that I'm taking pictures of the food itself. When a friend of mine found out I was coming to Paris, she insisted that I see the photo album of her visit. Half of it was food. Sure, the food is good, but I still think that's weird.

Another of Paris' wonders are the women. They are beautiful here. Not that there aren't beautiful women in America (you know I think you're beautiful), but here it's just... They are just everywhere, all the time, I don't know if there are just more people in Paris or if I see things differently here, or if they really are just more attractive. It seems I fall in love daily... well as far in love as you can be without ever talking to someone... Typically in America a girl would be interesting up until the time they opened their mouth. Here I don't have that problem. They open their mouths and all I hear are pretty sounds that match their pretty faces.

I've decided to discover Paris as she unfolds herself to me. I don't know if that makes any sense to you, but essentially it means that I haven't gone to see any of the sights, I've just been picking a direction and walking. I'm in no rush, I'm sure I'll see it all sooner or later. The thing is that even without all of the famous sites this city is filled with wonders and beauty. I have found an interesting mix of the past and present here. On one hand the city has buildings that have seen the better part of the last millennia and on the other hand it's a totally modern city with all the conveniences that we have come to depend on. I passed some beautiful buildings that had been hollowed out and turned into a beautiful mall. I guess all cities, like all people are evolving. All moving towards the great unknown future and we must all decide which things we will leave behind, and which things we will hold on to...


Maybe some of us let go to soon...
And others, not soon enough...

Or maybe evolution just isn't that simple for any of us.

Yours sincerely,

Willim

Currently watching: Moliere
Moliere

No comments:

Post a Comment